Government Advice for the Haulage Industry

Whether we leave the EU or not, there's things you need to do to prepare for the event of a no-deal Brexit. We've compilated the government's advice in this blog to ensure our fellow hauliers know what to do, whatever happens!

Get the right operator licence

You need to carry a standard international operator licence for journeys to, through or from the EU and European Economic Area (EEA). You'll also need an EU Community Licence and you can use your existing licence until 31 December even if there's a no-deal Brexit. Your EU Community Licence will allow you to make journeys to and from the UK, drive through EU countries to reach another EU country and do a limited amount of cabotage or cross-trade jobs from the day the UK leaves the EU.

If you apply for or renew your operator licence after a no-deal Brexit, you'll receive a 'UK Licence for the Community'. This licence works the same as the EU Community Licence and the same rules apply.

Get the right permits

You'll be able to complete most international journeys until 31 December without extra permits, regardless of a no-deal or not.

In the event of a no-deal Brexit, you'll can still use your EU Community Licence until 2019 if the journey is entirely within the EU or EEA. European Conference of Ministers of Transport (ECMT) will be required if you're travelling through EU and EEA countries to ECMT countries not in the EU or EEA.

Watch out for the changes to cabotage and cross-trade jobs

The number of cabotage and cross-trade jobs you can do will reduce if there's a no-deal Brexit. You'll only be allowed to carry out two cabotage or cross-trade within 7 days of making an international journey until 31 December 2019.

Register your vehicle trailers

You must register commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 750kg before you drive to, or through, most EU and EEA countries.

For abnormal loads, you'll need a keeper's certificate to take it abroad. Make sure you keep the certificate in the vehicle to show at border crossings and always check what counts as an abnormal load in the country you're travelling to.

Check your vehicle and trailer insurance

Ensure that you're carrying your 'green card' to prove that your vehicles are insured, should a no-deal Brexit happen. You'll need multiple green cards if you own a fleet, you're towing a trailer or if your policy ends during your journey.

Make sure you know what to do

You should consider switching your UK Driver CPC for an EU one if you're an EU Company, so it allows you to work for both UK and EU companies after Brexit. You'll also need to check what other things your company and drivers need to do to prepare for Brexit, including: getting an International Driving Permit (IDP), renewing your passport early enough and ensuring that you have the right kind of insurance.

There's a lot to be aware of in the preparations for Brexit and there is still a lot of uncertainty, so we've tried to cover as much as we can. Keep checking the government website for further updates, and the Road Haulage Association for advice. JMS will still be operating as normal during the Brexit procedures, read more about our services here.

JMS transports illuminated whale at Austerfield an...
Macmillian Cancer Coffee Morning!
Stephens Downloadable Ebook

Free Brochure

Read more about what we do and how we can help with the smooth operation of your business. Download our printable eBook, perfect for reading on the go, which is available 24/7, for further information please use one of our contact forms.

Fill in a few details below to view our downloadable brochure.

Fields marked with an * are required.

Please see our Privacy Policy for further details on how we use your data.

Ebook Preview About Ebook Preview Bookkeeping Ebook Preview Warehousing

Further Information

JMS of Doncaster have over 30 years’ experience, providing expert haulage solutions, warehousing, and logistics services. For further information on any of our services, use the enquiry form below, or call us at the number below.

Enquire Now

01302 337 455